Jenson Button is set to announce his retirement from Formula One at the end of the season, bringing the curtains down on a 15 year long career when the season finishes with the final race at Abu Dhabi on November 23.
It is believed that McLaren will re-sign former two time Formula One Drivers’ World Champion Fernando Alonso to replace the departing Briton.
The Englishman has waited quietly for months waiting eagerly to find out whether he or his rookie teammate Kevin Magnussen will be making way for the imminent arrival of McLaren’s prodigal son and according to reports, team principal Eric Boulier believes the 22 year old youngster will be the better option as a teammate for Alonso rather than the former world champion Button.
An insider source at the British team said that Eric Boulier believes that the two drivers must fit into the team together and not have two number one drivers and this gives the youngster the edge over the experienced Englishman.
Button has also said that he doesn’t want to move to a lesser team just to prolong his career in Formula One and will move on if he is not awarded a new contract at the end of the season.
The Englishman has 265 races under his belt, more than any other active driver in the sport at the moment and also fifteen wins.
Button considered quitting the sport earlier this year after the death of his father John who was always an ever-present figure during races and has raced in a pink helmet since then.
He is now considering reuniting with his friend and former Red Bull Racing driver Mark Webber in the World Endurance Championship, a Le Mans style racing competition where the Aussie driver races for the Porsche factory outlet team.
Dr. Gary Hartstein, a former chief doctor for Formula One has warned fans to prepare for the worst as efforts continue to wake Michael Schumacher up from his medically induced coma after a horrific ski accident last year.
The Formula One legend suffered serious injuries to his head while skiing off the piste at the exclusive skiing resort of Meribel in France when he hit a rock at the end of the year with the doctors’ attempts to bring him out of the medically induced coma now in its eighth week.
The manager of the 45 year old driver who retired from the sport for a second time last season, stated that efforts are still on to wake the German ace from the coma and he told fans that it will continue to do so for as long as it takes, firing a warning in which he mentioned that this process could be a long and drawn out one.
However, according to Dr. Hartstein, who was a key member of the paddock medical team till 2012, stated that the longer it takes, the slimmer are the chances that Schumacher will ever fully recover from it.
He took to his own blog to air his views where he wrote that the longer it takes to wake him up, it becomes all the less likely that Schumacher will ever come out to any degree of significance. He mentioned that he always knew Michael was an adored figure in the spore, adding that he spent years adorned with the red flags and scarves of Ferrari courtesy of the German in the paddock and he is still stunned by the depth of feeling fans have for him.
He also mentioned that in most cases, being in a come for over a year all but kills off a man.
Last month, McLaren driver Jenson Button said that he was confident that the team will be able to do extremely well at the Belgian Grand Prix. The race will be now a few days away and McLaren Managing Director Jonathan Neale has adopted a more cautious approach to the predictions.
McLaren have not been amongst the top teams in this season. They have been really struggling with several problems including the inexperience of Sergio Perez. Jenson Button had enormous success at the Belgian Grand Prix last season where he won the race with McLaren. Read more
Force India’s Bob Fernley has said that his team could have easily achieve the top five finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix had it not been for the double retirement. Force India were extremely good prior to the race in the testing. However, they had to see both the drivers – Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta – retire due to the problems in the wheelnut. Force India have been using their own version of the wheelnut this season. The team tried to improve the pit stop times, but instead the decision to use this wheelnut backfired since both drivers spent a long time in the pits.
The team were unable to rectify the problem, and both drivers were ultimately forced out. This is the first double retirement from the team after four years. Force India came into the weekend on the back of a positive finish in the season opener at the Australian Grand Prix. Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta finished in the seventh and eighth positions respectively. This has helped the team get a good start to the season, but it has been blown away following this double retirement. Force India have been showing great pace under the dry conditions so far.
They are expected to dominate at the Chinese Grand Prix in three weeks time. “It’s extremely disappointing. It was probably one of our most competitive race weekends in terms of sheer pace and now our most disappointing weekend in terms of a double retirement. It was a captive nut problem. At the beginning of the year we moved to the captive nut process, and all through Jerez testing, Barcelona testing and Australia we had no problems,” said the deputy principal of Force India. After two races in the campaign, the team have has managed to take 10 points in the constructors table.