Jenson Button is set to announce his retirement from Formula One at the end of the season, bringing the curtains down on a 15 year long career when the season finishes with the final race at Abu Dhabi on November 23.
It is believed that McLaren will re-sign former two time Formula One Drivers’ World Champion Fernando Alonso to replace the departing Briton.
The Englishman has waited quietly for months waiting eagerly to find out whether he or his rookie teammate Kevin Magnussen will be making way for the imminent arrival of McLaren’s prodigal son and according to reports, team principal Eric Boulier believes the 22 year old youngster will be the better option as a teammate for Alonso rather than the former world champion Button.
An insider source at the British team said that Eric Boulier believes that the two drivers must fit into the team together and not have two number one drivers and this gives the youngster the edge over the experienced Englishman.
Button has also said that he doesn’t want to move to a lesser team just to prolong his career in Formula One and will move on if he is not awarded a new contract at the end of the season.
The Englishman has 265 races under his belt, more than any other active driver in the sport at the moment and also fifteen wins.
Button considered quitting the sport earlier this year after the death of his father John who was always an ever-present figure during races and has raced in a pink helmet since then.
He is now considering reuniting with his friend and former Red Bull Racing driver Mark Webber in the World Endurance Championship, a Le Mans style racing competition where the Aussie driver races for the Porsche factory outlet team.
Last month, McLaren driver Jenson Button said that he was confident that the team will be able to do extremely well at the Belgian Grand Prix. The race will be now a few days away and McLaren Managing Director Jonathan Neale has adopted a more cautious approach to the predictions.
McLaren have not been amongst the top teams in this season. They have been really struggling with several problems including the inexperience of Sergio Perez. Jenson Button had enormous success at the Belgian Grand Prix last season where he won the race with McLaren. Read more
The McLaren driver Jenson Button has said that the chances of him winning the second world drivers championship title will be greatly increased next season following the departure of Lewis Hamilton. The 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton will be departing McLaren for Mercedes from the start of next season. Right now, he is competing alongside Jenson Button, who won the world championship back in 2010. However, he has been unable to replicate the success since arriving at McLaren due to the fact that both drivers are fighting for the same. Hamilton will be replaced by the youngster Sergio Perez for next season.
It is a move that is expected to make Jenson Button the number one driver at McLaren. This will certainly help him in his title chances according to the Englishman. Button has pointed out to the lack of difference between the two drivers in terms of the points total at the end of the season. This is because McLaren do not favour one driver over the other. When he is made the ultimate number one in the team next season, he believes that the team might favour him to help him win the second world championship of his career.
“When you compare it to Lewis and I, when you look at our three years together, there has not been a massive amount of points difference between us. And that means we were taking points off each other as well. If I have a quick car next year I am going to score a lot of points. But I am sorry to see him (Hamilton) go,” said Jenson Button. This season, Lewis Hamilton has so far had 190 points to his name, while Jenson Button is not too far behind with 163 points. Jenson Button joined McLaren back in 2010.