Jenson Button almost certain to leave F1

Jenson Button is set to announce his retirement from Formula One at the end of the season, bringing the curtains down on a 15 year long career when the season finishes with the final race at Abu Dhabi on November 23.

It is believed that McLaren will re-sign former two time Formula One Drivers’ World Champion Fernando Alonso to replace the departing Briton.

The Englishman has waited quietly for months waiting eagerly to find out whether he or his rookie teammate Kevin Magnussen will be making way for the imminent arrival of McLaren’s prodigal son and according to reports, team principal Eric Boulier believes the 22 year old youngster will be the better option as a teammate for Alonso rather than the former world champion Button.

An insider source at the British team said that Eric Boulier believes that the two drivers must fit into the team together and not have two number one drivers and this gives the youngster the edge over the experienced Englishman.

Button has also said that he doesn’t want to move to a lesser team just to prolong his career in Formula One and will move on if he is not awarded a new contract at the end of the season.

The Englishman has 265 races under his belt, more than any other active driver in the sport at the moment and also fifteen wins.

Button considered quitting the sport earlier this year after the death of his father John who was always an ever-present figure during races and has raced in a pink helmet since then.

He is now considering reuniting with his friend and former Red Bull Racing driver Mark Webber in the World Endurance Championship, a Le Mans style racing competition where the Aussie driver races for the Porsche factory outlet team.